db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: -Dij.<property> in doc should be -D<property> ?
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:44:46 GMT
On 6/12/06, Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was poking at the manual and I noticed that in the following:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tools/ttoolsij30600.html
> it is described that you can overwrite ij properties specified with
> the -p <propertyfile> by using -Dij.<property>.
>
> However, when I tried it, it looks as you need to specify
> -D<property>, if you use the -Dij.<property> nothing happens.
>
> </snip>
>
> I assume this is intended behavior, and a doc bug...
> Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true for all ij properties
> by looking at the code?

This sounds like a code bug, not a doc bug. I think that ij's
properties should all be prefixed with 'ij.' as described in the doc.
And the fact that a property with a different name, not prefixed with
'ij.', can override the behavior of the properly named property seems
really wrong to me.

Could you please file a code bug for this? I'll take a look at it shorty.

andrew