db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Rajesh Kartha" <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Enhancement] Name the ' db.lck' file within a booted db to be '.db.lck'
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:04:02 GMT
On 6/15/06, Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Note that this change is not as easy as it seems.  I believe there
> are all sorts of upgrade issues.  I don't think it is possible to
> change the name in 10.1 as 2 different versions of CS running in
> different jvms won't agree on the object they are locking.

I agree, this need not be addressed for 10.1. But maybe this can be
discussed
further to be resolved in time for 10.2 (?)

I guess for a hard upgrade one could lock both files, and for
> db's booted that have already been upgraded to 10.2 one should
> be able to lock the new name.
>
> Does anyone know if java guarantees that files starting with "." is
> a valid filename on all the platforms.  We have in the past tried
> to be very safe in our filename choices - mostly trying for 8.3
> standard.

I would think '.' is a valid file name on most of the platforms (need to
verify this on i5/zOS - could try and send a mail later). I know  Eclipse
use file names  '.metadata' and '.log' file  to store workspace metadata and
a '.lock' file to lock the workspace. And this is behavior is same across
platforms.

-Rajesh