db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From TomohitoNakayama <tomon...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>
Subject Re: Wondering to myself about doing layer B streaming from client to server
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 05:14:56 GMT
Hello Knut.
Thank you for your counsel :)

Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>TomohitoNakayama <tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp> writes:
>

>>Hello.
>>
>>Continuing DERBY-1301(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1301),
>>I came to have question whether layer B streaming should be done when
>>lob was sent from client to server.
>>
>>Reading javadoc for java.sql package, I found that methods passing
>>stream object to driver always takes parameter for length information.
>>Then, driver can simply pass that length information to server.
>>
>>I think there are no need for driver to execute layer B streaming,
>>because caller of driver always pass length of streamed object to driver.
>>

>Hi Tomohito,
>
>I don't know how it relates to layer B streaming, but JDBC 4.0 will
>add methods with a stream parameter and no length parameter. The
>javadocs at http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/ have not been
>updated with these methods yet, but I believe they will be in a week
>or two. You can find more details in DERBY-1417.

I see.
I recognize there exists need for layer B streaming, which does not
require to send length information, concerning JDBC4.0.

>>However, here comes another question.
>>
>>DERBY-550(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-550), which is
>>linked from DERBY-1301 told that
>>current implementation of org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver expands
>>object to be streamed into memory and
>>this behavior tends to cause OutOfMemoryError.
>>
>>Are there any reason why current driver expands object into memory,
>>though length of the object is served as parameter of method ?
>>

>Probably because it was the easiest way to implement it. I don't see
>any good technical reasons for doing it like that.

I see.
Then, it is issue to be improved, I suppose.

>>Well....
>>I think it is needed to survey some more around current implementation
>>of driver and
>>clear the mystery in org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver, around
>>expanding object into memory before sending ....
>>

>It would be great to improve the stream handling on the client. I have
>just briefly looked at the code, but it seems clear that this is a
>part of the code that has room for improvement. Thanks for looking
>into it!

I think here we found two issue.
1) Implement layer B streaming for new methods defined in JDBC4.0.
2) Remove expanding object to memory before sending it.

I will file them on JIRA and continue.

Best regards.

--
/*