db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.1.3.1 release notes draft page
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:34:02 GMT
Henri van de Scheur - Sun Norway wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> As an aside,  it would be wonderful to hear from some of the folks
>> that make up the "We" in Henri's mails that say  "We have run [snip
>> lots of great testing]"  about their opinions and votes on the release.
> I am so sorry!
> 'We' are:
> Ole Solberg
> Vemund Østgaard
> John Embretsen
> Henri van de Scheur

[snip]

> Details for our additional test are found under
> http://www.multinet.no/%7Esolberg/public/Apache/10.1.3.1_RC/10.1.3.1RC_Additional_Tests.html

> (you will see the link to this page after you do the refresh/reload?)

As some of you may have noticed, "we" did not run a (so-called) long
running test against 10.1.3.1.

However, I have run a test against 10.1.3.0-RC (as noted in [1]) for
about 13 days, 18 hours. This is the same test that caused
OutOfMemoryErrors against the 10.1.2.4 snapshot after about 21 days [2].
Unfortunately, due to lack of time and some other constraints (e.g.
physical relocation of test hosts), the 10.1.3.0-RC test was not (and
most likely will not be) run long enough to see the full effect of the
anti-Memory-leak medicine provided by DERBY-1103.

However, graphs showing Network Server heap (tenured space) utilization
in 10.1.2.4 vs. 10.1.3.0-RC (for as long as the latter test ran) are
attached to this e-mail. DERBY-1103 seems to have had a positive (as in
good) effect on memory usage.

See attachments
10.1.2.4_OldSpaceUsage_first350hrs.png and
10.1.3.0-RC_OldSpaceUsage.png.

--
John

[1]