db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Synchronization on the connection in JDBC calls
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:59:01 GMT
Hello,

When working on EmbedPreparedStatement.java, I noticed that a few
methods synchronize on the connection object, for instance addBatch. The
code typically looks like this:

synchronized (getConnectionSynchronization()) {
	// Do stuff
}

The getConnectionSynchronization-method returns a reference to the root
connection. I also saw that EmbedResultSet uses this more.
The rest of the JDBC methods in EmbedPreparedStatement don't synchronize
on this object.

I think a single connection is not expected to be shared between
multiple threads simultaneously. Maybe the necessary synchronization is
done at a lower level in the system.

Would anyone care to share their thoughts/knowledge on this issue?

Thanks,
--
Kristian