db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Preview: High Level Design for JMX
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:46:11 GMT

Sanket Sharma wrote:

>> - I think it might be worth going int more detail on how a Model MBean
>> works since this is what you're proposing to use.  I liked this text
>> from http://www.admc.com/blaine/howtos/jmx/ch06.html
> Umm...I have mixed feelings on that. I initially thought a sperate
> article along with this document will be good. At the same time, it is
> always good to have some refersher information in HLD. I did not want
> the HLD to look like a model mbean tutorial. How about a seperate
> article describing all Model MBean soup and putting a link in HLD?I
> think it will be much better to have a few supporting articles and
> keep HLD clean.
> Let me know what you feel. I'll be happy both ways.

I think pulling out the JMX overview stuff to keep the HLD clean sounds
good.

To be honest, I think if you can just link to some page on the web that
already describes a Model MBean well, that would be sufficient.  I
wouldn't spend my time trying to explain what JMX is if you can find the
right links for folks.  Like what I did, cutting and pasting that quote
from somebody else's article.

>> - I think you need to clearly define some terms to help avoid confusion:
>> In particular, I think it's important to make sure we're all on the same
>> page as to what a  "Monitor" and "Service" are (I'm assuming these refer
>> to the Derby concepts of monitor and service).
>>
> Umm..I guess a "Definitions" section can be added. This will clearly
> identify what "Monitor", "System", "Service" etc. mean in the rest of
> the document?

Yes, perfect.

>> - I'm not sure if MonitorMBean is the right name, as this is an internal
>> concept.  What is the right name for this MBean from the perspective of
>> the user?  I think a Monitor has a 1-1 correspondence with the Derby
>> concept of a "system" -- see
>> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevdvlp27610.html
>
> Exactly. I thought from developers perspective. Looking from a users
> perspective, it would make much more sense to call it as SystemMBean.
> When viewed from a cosole, it would be much more intutive to the user
> if this mbean is displayed "System" or "Derby System"

DerbySystemMBean and Derby System seem better to me.

>> - I'd like to see a summary of the methods, properties and callbacks for
>> each MBean.  I'd also like to see something like a UML diagram showing
>> the relations between MBeans.  For example, I think there is a 1-many
>> relationship between Monitor MBean and Database MBean.
>
> Okie dokie! I'll put the uml on wiki and the summary in a table up on
> the wiki.

Great!

> Thank you for your comments!!!
>
> Best Regards,