db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for 10.2 release schedule
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:23:37 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Last week, Sun Microsystems announced that it will bundle Derby with
> the next major release of the reference jdk, Java SE 6, also known as
> Mustang or jdk1.6. If you download the latest Mustang build, you will
> see that it contains our Derby 10.2.0.3 snapshot in the "db" directory
> parallel to "lib" and "bin".
>
> This is big news. It means that over the course of the next year,
> Derby will turn up on the desktops of millions of developers.
> Hopefully, Derby's user and developer communities will both grow
> dramatically.
>
> I would like to support this bundling. Note that Mustang will need our
> vetted 10.2 release candidate by September 15 so that they can QA it.
> This is expected to take about 5 weeks, after which Mustang should go
> GA in late October.
>
> The JCP requires that our JDBC4-exposing release can not be generally
> available until the JDBC4 specification is finalized, which happens
> when Mustang is generally available. Until that date, this means that
> our final, vetted release candidate can not be officially stamped as
> "GA"  and we can not promote it to the various Apache mirrors.
>
> Here are proposed dates for 10.2 milestones:
>
> August 10 - Feature work committed. 10.2 branch created.
> August 24 - Last day to commit changes for 10.2
> August 25 - Begin vetting 10.2 release candidate
> September 15 - Target date for finishing the voting on Derby 10.2
> End of October - Expected GA of JDBC4 with Mustang
> End of October - GA of Derby 10.2. Release promoted to Apache mirrors.
>
> Are this proposal and its dates reasonable?

Hi Rick,

On careful review of the dates you posted, it looks like the time frame
for testing is just about 3 weeks (Aug 25 - Sept 15).  10.2 being a
major release with lots
of new features/fixes,  we need to make sure there is enough time for
the community to test the release and 3 weeks sure seems less.
My experience during all the previous releases of Derby is that  we
invariably had multiple release candidates - hence the 10.2 testing time
frame
needs to take this into account.

 I suggest one of the following two:

1) Keep the date to complete voting for Derby 10.2 as Sept 15:

   To achieve this,  we move the last day to commit changes early, which
would mean:

    August 10 - Last day to commit changes for 10.2
    August 11 - Release Candidate 1 ready for testing
    September 15 - Target date for finishing the voting on Derby 10.2

2)  Push the date to complete voting for Derby 10.2 to Oct 2:

    August 24 - Last day to commit changes for 10.2
    August 25 - Begin vetting 10.2 release candidate
    Oct 2nd - Target date for finishing the voting on Derby 10.2

   This will give us  about 5 weeks in both the cases, within which we
can provision for RC2 if needed.

 Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Rajesh