db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Status of adding BOOLEAN-type
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:38:21 GMT
Hi  Kristian,

I have given up on re-enabling the BOOLEAN datatype in the near term,
for the following reasons:

1) I can't see when or whether the BOOLEAN datatype will make it into
the DRDA spec. After 9 months, the spec's governing body has failed to
revive. There seems to be very little industry interest in funding the
continuation of DRDA spec work.

2) The existing (10.1) behavior of Derby BOOLEAN violates the ANSI
casting rules. See DERBY-887. Fixing these casts will break Derby's ODBC
metadata and for that reason we suspect that customer applications will
break also. This appears to be the kind of compatibility issue which
requires a major rather than a minor release of Derby. I see the
following options:

 a) Expose a BOOLEAN datatype which does not conform to the ANSI spec.
 b) Break existing customer applications.
 c) Wait until the next major release of Derby before re-enabling BOOLEAN.

My vote would be for (2c) but I don't sense enough enthusiasm for
BOOLEAN to justify a major release in the near term.

Regards,
-Rick