db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about splitQRYDTA and offbyone error message.
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:22:30 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> Sunitha Kambhampati wrote:
>
>> they are hitting an edge case, where the writer.getDSSLength() is
>> equal to blksize and this DSS is the only dss in the send buffer.
>
> Below is a simple repro program that you can run to demonstrate the
> bug for yourself. Compile it, then start up the Network Server and
> run the program with "java newBug 12749". That exact length for column
> "c2" will trigger the edge case you've found.

Thanks very much Bryan for jumping on this and providing the repro.
Thats just great!

> The fix is as simple as changing the >= to >, just as you said in your
> message, I believe.

Yes. Thats what I tried and it solves the user's problem. I also ran
derbynetmats and derbynetclientmats and all tests passed.

> Should we re-open one of the existing bugs? I think it may be easier just
> to file a new bug, and then verify the fix using the diff and the test
> program below.

I am fine either ways.  If opening a new jira is easy, then we should
just do that.  Since DERBY-170 is already backported to 10.1, we will
need to backport this fix to 10.1 also.  If we go with opening a new
issue, it might be good to link this new issue with derby-170 using jira
links, so that in the future we have this history available for us.

> I'll work this up into a proper patch, with a new regression test,
> probably as part of derbynet/prepStmt.java

Excellent. Thanks again.

> please let me know if you can confirm these results.

Yes, I can repro this on my machine.  The server hits this offbyone bug
and disconnects the client.

Thanks,
Sunitha.