db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <andreas.kornelius...@sun.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:05:01 GMT
>>True. But we're not talking about just anybody. If a member of the
>>Derby community does put together a release candidate (that would need
>>to report itself as a GA version) and publishes it on a website for
>>others to vote on, then the community could be held responsible.
>

> For what?

As far as I can tell, the legal issues are about when a product goes GA.
I.e Derby 10.2 could not go GA until JDBC4 spec is final.

If we follow Rick's proposal for a release schedule, I would argue that
this would not be a problem, since Derby would go GA after the JDBC 4
spec is final.

In this thread however, it seems like the meaning of GA is debated /
redefined, as to mean "when someone builds the RC", or "someone set a GA
flag in SVN", and therefore argues that there potential legal issues
w.r.t to JCP. Please correct me if I have misunderstood, or if there
were other things the community could be held responsible for.

Andreas