db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:47:02 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 6/23/06, Andreas Korneliussen <andreas.korneliussen@sun.com> wrote:
>> I responded to this part of your post, and wanted to clarify that Derby
>> does not build the RC, it is the RM who does it.
> Yes, because it is the RM as an individual that ultimately builds and
> publishes the release as an official Apache release on behalf of the
> ASF. Once it is published, though, the bits belong to the ASF, not the
> release manager or the Derby project. I'm pretty sure that's what Jean
> meant by 'Apache is ultimately responsible for the release'.

One of the reasons the Apache Software Foundation was formed was to
provide a legal umbrella that protects individual software developers
from litigation [1]:

> provide a means for individual volunteers to be sheltered from legal suits directed at
the Foundation's projects

I don't think it was anybody's intention to suggest throwing our RMs to
the lions .... but let's don't.  :-) We should always work on releases
within ASF guidelines.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html, see "What is the
Apache Software Foundation?"

View raw message