db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:19:46 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>Looks like, barring clarification by Sun what the spec license means
>>concerning applications that implement interfaces in a non-final JSR,
>>even in their own namespace, the Derby community shouldn't do anything
>>regarding a release with JDBC 4 - i would say not even post a release
>>candidate for a vote - until the JDBC 4 spec is final.
>>

>+1 and this means no catch-22 for Apache Derby.
>
>Sun's plans to have Sun's JavaDB in Sun's Java SE 6 Developers Kit are
>Sun's problem.
>
>I do think the community can work with Sun to help the goal of a
>distribution of Derby based technology in Sun's JDK. I think the
>required steps are something like:
>   - 10.2 branch creation as Rick indicated (timing wise)
>   - testing on the 10.2 branch by everyone with snapshots and beta
>release candidate(s)
>   - minor fork by Sun to produce a GA release of *Java DB* to be
>released with Mustang GA
>   - Sun assumes risk of any disk format/api changes between their
>release of JavaDB and the Derby 10.2 release, lots of early testing here
>by Sun (& others) can help reduce this risk

Sounds good to me and I think even we could interject a separate vote to
finalize disk format  on the 10.2 branch
before JavaDB forks off to help the reduce the risk further.

>Of course I assuming that the community thinks it is good for Derby
>technology to be shipped with Sun's Java 6 Developers Kit, but there
>actually hasn't been any discussion either way on that point.

I know I do and I think it is good to facilitate it with a plan like
this, but not to be held hostage by it by creating  a special "not GA
for anyone but Sun" release.

Kathey