db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <andreas.kornelius...@sun.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:05:02 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 6/23/06, Jean T. Anderson <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>> Andreas Korneliussen wrote:
>> > Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> >
>> > In this case, it is Rick (the release manager) who builds the RC, and
>> > who makes it available before JDBC4 goes GA. I guess it would be up to
>> > him to take the legal responsibility.
>

> The RM for any Apache release is responsible for evaluating the
> legalities of the situation surrounding a release and do what is
> necessary to protect the ASF from legal action. See sections 4 and 8
> of the ICLA.

Thanks for confirming that it is the RM who is responsible for the
legalities.

  It's up to Rick? Excuse me but Apache is ultimately responsible for this
>> release and, as a member of this community, I think it's irresponsible
>> to not resolve any legal issues *before* a candidate is released. The
>> last thing Derby needs is legal grief.

Jean, I did not argue that we should not resolve legal issues before the
candidate is released.

I responded to this part of your post, and wanted to clarify that Derby
does not build the RC, it is the RM who does it.

 > Can Derby legally build an RC with the GA bits set before JDBC 4.0 is
 > GA? --Understanding that the RC will be readily available to anyone to
 > download?

Anyone can check out the Derby source tree, and build a "derby" with the
GA bit set at any time. If anyone does that, it clearly does not mean
that Derby has gone GA with JDBC4, and that the community is held
legally responsible.

Andreas