db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:01:56 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> Looks like, barring clarification by Sun what the spec license means
> concerning applications that implement interfaces in a non-final JSR,
> even in their own namespace, the Derby community shouldn't do anything
> regarding a release with JDBC 4 - i would say not even post a release
> candidate for a vote - until the JDBC 4 spec is final.

+1 and this means no catch-22 for Apache Derby.

Sun's plans to have Sun's JavaDB in Sun's Java SE 6 Developers Kit are
Sun's problem.

I do think the community can work with Sun to help the goal of a
distribution of Derby based technology in Sun's JDK. I think the
required steps are something like:
   - 10.2 branch creation as Rick indicated (timing wise)
   - testing on the 10.2 branch by everyone with snapshots and beta
release candidate(s)
   - minor fork by Sun to produce a GA release of *Java DB* to be
released with Mustang GA
   - Sun assumes risk of any disk format/api changes between their
release of JavaDB and the Derby 10.2 release, lots of early testing here
by Sun (& others) can help reduce this risk

Of course I assuming that the community thinks it is good for Derby
technology to be shipped with Sun's Java 6 Developers Kit, but there
actually hasn't been any discussion either way on that point.

Dan.