db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:44:18 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> Andrew, thanks for putting in your time and research for this discussion.
>
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> What happened to the proposal to vote and approve a GA-enabled release,
> but not make it actually available until Java SE 6 goes GA?  Did we
> decide this was not feasible?  I may have missed it, but I don't think I
> saw that discussion anywhere.

Assuming that the legal issues are resolved, I have a problem with
sitting on the RC for 5 weeks. Here's the schedule from Rick's original
post [1]:

> August 10 - Feature work committed. 10.2 branch created.
> August 24 - Last day to commit changes for 10.2
> August 25 - Begin vetting 10.2 release candidate
> September 15 - Target date for finishing the voting on Derby 10.2
> End of October - Expected GA of JDBC4 with Mustang
> End of October - GA of Derby 10.2. Release promoted to Apache mirrors.

So, Derby approves a RC by Sep 15 -- then sits on it for 5 weeks.

Once Derby approves a release, we should be able to release it. If we
legally can't release it, then we shouldn't even be producing a release
candidate and voting on it.

Perhaps if the legal issues are resolved in a way that permits producing
the release candidate, maybe it can also cover the actual release.

 -jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200606.mbox/%3c449AEAA7.8030109@sun.com%3e