db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:32:28 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> What happened to the proposal to vote and approve a GA-enabled
> release, but not make it actually available until Java SE 6 goes GA?
> Did we decide this was not feasible?  I may have missed it, but I
> don't think I saw that discussion anywhere.

This was my comment regarding my concerns about this dependency.
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-catch-22%3A-Derby%2C-Mustang%2C-and-JCP-issue-p5012231.html

I think from a community perspective we would like other new projects to
look at us as a good example.  Will they say Yes! Let's do it just like
Derby:
- Wait more than a year for our first feature release,
-  Make  pseudo GA release and ask our Release Manager to hold onto it
until  the company he works for releases their comercial product that
uses it.
-  Set a precedent for external comercial dependencies on our release
criteria.

I think/hope  they won't.

Kathey