db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:43:37 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> David posted a good summary of the legal catch-22 at [1]. But the
> shortest story is:
>
>  + Mustang wants to ship a GA Derby 10.2, which supports JDBC 4.0.
>  + Derby can't ship a GA 10.2 until JDBC 4.0 is GA, which is with Mustang.
>
> Let's keep this thread confined to the JCP issue Andrew raised that to
> roll a release candidate qualifies as "creation".[2] And those release
> candidates will be generally available.
>
> How do we handle this cleanly?

I think, by following the schedule Rick has proposed, we will handle
this cleanly.

August 25 - Begin vetting 10.2 release candidate
End of October - Expected GA of JDBC4 with Mustang
End of October - GA of Derby 10.2. Release promoted to Apache mirrors.

As you can see from the schedule, Derby 10.2 does not go GA when we
start the vetting of the release candidate. Building a RC is not the
same as going GA.

As for alpha/beta bits: they should not be set on a release candidate.
The vetted bits are the final bits if the community votes for the
release.  As far as I know, they were not set on the recently rejected
10.1.3 RC.

Andreas