db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:55:54 GMT
[snip lot's of interesting legal conversation that I can't keep up with]

To me,  the core question for the Derby community is do we want to
interject an  extended commercial external dependency  into our release
cycle.   To that I vote -1.   It seems contrary to the Apache Way and
all that makes it work:  incremental development, contributor
independence,  release early often.  It also seems to make this  a legal
rather than technical forum.

There are perfectly reasonable technical release alternatives but there
seem to be legal issue's getting in the way.    I suggest the lawyers
take this off line, and find a solution so Derby can release with the
implementation based on the draft and subject to change.  The lawyers on
both sides of the table  seem to work at the same place, so  I am sure
negotiations can't be too difficult.  If they  are,  then I think Java
DB will just need to fork of temporarily and sync back up to us when
ready to play again the Apache Way.

10.2 has already been far too long of a release cycle.   In large part
the delays already are related to this legal issue and I think we need
to stop it.  I seen 10.2  as our *real* graduation from incubation:
Will we as a community be able push out a real  Apache feature release
together and feel like we did it the Apache Way?   Whatever precedents
we set this time we should be willing to carry forward and  this seems
like a bad one to me.

Kathey