db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:40:23 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>> I don't think the JCP rules apply since we are not creating an
>>> implementation of JSR221.
>>
>> How could that be?  Where did the information for the APIs come from?
>
> Isn't an implementation of JSR221 writing (clean room) classes in the
> java.sql and javax.sql name spaces. (e.g. java.sql.Driver &
> javax.sql.DataSource).
>
> Derby is not doing that, Derby is providing an implementation of a JDBC
> driver, not an implementation of JSR221 itself. Implementing JSR221 is
> something that Harmony would (might) do.
>
> My point is that the JCP rules for implementation of the spec itself do
> not apply here.

It's true that you aren't doing what Harmony will do - you aren't
providing a jar with "java.sql.Connection" (for example), but you are
writing software that _uses_ the spec and, formally speaking, that
requires the spec to do.

Writing software to use the spec is allowed by JSR final spec licenses
(thank goodness), but not in the draft spec license for 221.

>>> I'm sure other rules apply that say one cannot ship a JDBC 4.0 driver
>>> until Mustang goes GA, but that's not the JCP rules that Andrew provided
>>> references to. It would be good to get Lance to expand on what he meant
>>> when he said:
>>>
>>> "You cannot have a GA version of a JDBC 4 driver until JSR 221 goes final."
>>>
>>> Where does this restriction come from?
>>
>> I'm not sure.  The license on the public review draft gives no rights to
>> distribute an implementation under *any* label (more recent public
>> review draft licenses  do now after the whole EJB3 brouhaha)
>
> My point is "implementation" of what exactly. I think Lance (JSR221 spec
> lead) has already said that the TCK for JSR221 just checks the the
> classes (java.sql etc.) exist and have the correct methods & signatures,
> that implies to me that implementing JSR221 means providing those classes.

Indeed.  You won't need a TCK for 221 for Derby (I clearly misspoke in
other messages on this thread) as you aren't implementing 221, just
software that uses it.

geir