db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 05:30:47 GMT
Brian McCallister wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>> "You cannot have a GA version of a JDBC 4 driver until JSR 221 goes
>> final."
>>
>> Where does this restriction come from?
>

> Until a spec is final I don't see how you can have a certified compliant
> implementation of that spec.

Agreed, and I'm not sure that there is any requirement for Derby to have
a certified compliant JDBC driver. Sure it would be great to have a
certified driver, but it's not a requirement for a Derby release.

> It might be as easy as not claiming JDBC  4.0
> compliance until *after* JSR-221 is final, than saying, "huh, gee whiz,
> we pass the TCK!"

Except there is no TCK for compliance of a JDBC 4.0 driver. I believe
the compliance for a driver is only described by text in the JDBC 4.0
spec. The JSR221 TCK is for compliance of the JDBC 4.0 apis.

> If the interfaces happen to exist in a release before the spec is final,
> well, cool. Folks using them are at risk of the spec changing at the  last
> minute, so I would put bright red warnings around them if they are event
> documented before the official release of the spec (not of Derby).

+1

Dan.