db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:09:35 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> David posted a good summary of the legal catch-22 at [1]. But the
> shortest story is:
>
>  + Mustang wants to ship a GA Derby 10.2, which supports JDBC 4.0.
>  + Derby can't ship a GA 10.2 until JDBC 4.0 is GA, which is with Mustang.
>
> Let's keep this thread confined to the JCP issue Andrew raised that to
> roll a release candidate qualifies as "creation".[2] And those release
> candidates will be generally available.

I don't think the JCP rules apply since we are not creating an
implementation of JSR221.

I'm sure other rules apply that say one cannot ship a JDBC 4.0 driver
until Mustang goes GA, but that's not the JCP rules that Andrew provided
references to. It would be good to get Lance to expand on what he meant
when he said:

"You cannot have a GA version of a JDBC 4 driver until JSR 221 goes final."

Where does this restriction come from?

Dan.