db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Proposal for 10.2 release schedule
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:41:43 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>

>> Call in the lawyers:
>>

>>> From JSPA - 2.0.1 10 January 2005 [1], which presumably the ASF board
>>>
>> has executed, being a JCP Member (they've even got quotes from Geir
>> prominently featured on their "about JCP 2.6 page" [2]):
>>
>> 5.B. License to Create Independent Implementations.
>>

> Dumb question, is Derby:
>
>  - creating an independent implementation of JSR221
>  - or is it implementing a driver that adheres to JSR221?
>
> I would say Apache Harmony (when/if they tackle Jave SE 6) would be
> creating an independent implementation of JSR221 and that Derby is not.

You cannot have a GA version of a JDBC 4 driver until JSR 221 goes final.

The Derby Embedded and Network Client drivers provide implementations of
the  JDBC drivers based on JSR 221.

A Java SE implementation provides the interfaces and concrete classes
that are used by a JDBC driver for the given Java SE implementation.

JSR 221 falls under the umbrella spec for Java SE 6.  They all go final
together.