db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Proposal for 10.2 release schedule
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:42:58 GMT
Ok, this is very tricky.  First, I'd like to make sure we're on the same
page here about Java DB going into the JDK.  I think in general the
community thinks it's a good thing for Derby for Java DB to be in the
JDK.  It gives us great exposure and distribution.  I also think the
community would probably like it if databases created by the version of
Java DB to be upgradable to a subsequent release of Derby, so that users
can get the latest and greatest functionality of Derby directly from the
Apache web site, or even upgrade to a future release of Cloudscape if
they decide to get support from IBM.

In order for this to work, we need Java DB to be based on an official,
"GA-ready" release of Derby to be what Sun redistributes in Mustang.
Otherwise databases created in Mustang will be "locked in" to Java DB.

The problem is that it can't *actually* be GA until after JCP approves
JSR 221, JDBC 4.0, which will happen in tandem with the GA release of
the JDK, around 5 weeks after the JDK team needs their final integration
bits from all the pieces going into it.

I think what Rick is asking for is a release that is voted as
"GA-ready", has the GA-bit turned on, but because of JCP rules is not
actually *made* generally available until JSR 220 becomes final.  Since
we all need to vet this release and approve it, it would be available to
the Derby community, but not *generally* available by distributing it on
all the Apache mirrors.

I know this seems like a fine hair to split, but it's the only way we
can be successful without Sun having to do a non-upgradable fork of
Derby, which I don't think any of us want.

I hope this helps to clear things up, even if it doesn't make things
simpler :)

David