db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for 10.2 release schedule
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:32:09 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>

>> What happens between September 15 and End of October on the 10.2 branch?
>

>> If we fix critical bugs during that time in the 10.2 branch can't they
>> go into the release end of October?

They should be able to. Since we won't have had a GA release (JCP rules)
until Mustang ships, it seems any critical bug that we find and fix
between Sep 15th and Mustang shipping has the potential to require a new
release candidate and new vote. Could even be a database format change.

> Suppose we were able to publish the 10.2 release candidate (make it GA)
> right after we vetted it in mid-September. When would you want to
> produce the follow-on bug fix release? At the end of October? A couple
> months later? We could do either. The community may want to defer the
> follow-on bug fix release for a couple months. That would give us time
> to collect more feedback from users of the published, GA release.
> However, we could "release early, release often" and produce another
> release from the 10.2 branch at the end of October.

Not sure I understand the point of this paragraph. I thought the JCP
rules mean we can't make 10.2 GA in mid-Sep, thus it seems to be a
hypothetical impossible situation.

Dan.