db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.1.3.0 release
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:26:17 GMT

Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 6/20/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Mike Matrigali wrote:
>>
>> > I would like to see the fix for DERBY-1392 included in the 10.1.3
>> > release if there is a second release candidate.  While the bug
>> > is an edge error case, the result is a corrupt db.  I believe
>> > there is little risk as again the path is not one usually taken.
>> > The change has already been fixed in the trunk and the 10.1 branch.
>>
>> +1 to including DERBY-1392  and thanks so much to Anders for finding and
>> fixing this issue!
>

> Is this a serious enough issue to warrant another release candidate?
> Tests that exercise the issue were not contributed along with the fix,
> and it would be nice to know that this is an issue that is likely to
> be hit in known circumstances. If so, a release note is probably in
> order since it supposedly can cause corruption to a database.

I believe this is serious enough to warrent another RC.  By code
inspection as Anders points out it is clear there is a path that
could corrupt the db.

Another reason I would like to get this in is that in the past there
has been a non reproducible case of an unencrypted string getting
into a page of an encrypted db with one of our customers on the
original cloudscape pre-derby product.  We have
never been able to reproduce this, but the code for this path is
has the same problem in the pre-derby code as the code Anders fixed.
Since we never had a reproducible case I can't say this is the fix,
but it seems likely.

Because the code path depends on a timing I/O exception it is a
particularly hard test to write.  For this reason I spent extra
time reviewing the code and why I felt it was ok to go in without
a test.

Since 10.2 is around the corner, I am worried that this might be the
last official 10.1 release for a long time so would like to see this
fix make it.