db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PRE-VOTE DISCUSSION] Compatibility rules and interface table
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:14:27 GMT
Hi David,

I had a couple more comments on the compatibility commitments. Cheers-Rick

  - Changes to stored procedures: We will have to change column order if
   we add Derby-specific columns to a metadata ResultSet and then a later
   JDBC also adds more columns.

  - Changes to Database Tables: We should be allowed to drop indexes
   on System tables.

  - Changes to Command Line Interfaces. I don't understand why error
    message text can't be changed. This contradicts what is said
    in the Interface Table below.

  - Other miscellaneous formats. I'm not clear on what these miscellaneou
   files and strings are. For example, I'd like to make sure that we're
not enshrining
   the current RUNTIMESTATISTICS output.

  - Interface table:

    o Shouldn't the public client api be stable like the embedded api?

    o What is meant by "Defaults returned by DatabaseMetadata
    methods"?

    o I think that the format of RUNTIMESTATISTICS output is unstable.