db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Driver autoloading and engine booting
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:36:46 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Rick Hillegas  and Kathey Marsden wrote:
> [lots of stuff about implementation details that probably should wait
> a bit]
> I think Dan's summary and focus on goals was good:
> Dan said ...
>> I think the goal should be to support auto-loading and to ensure
>> applications that perform some setup and then explicitly load the Derby
>> embedded driver continue to work.
> Another goal would be to minimize the resources used and permissions
> demanded by Derby when it is auto-loaded but never used.  For example
> with auto-loading, we would want to make sure that there were no
> read/write permissions required and memory usage was kept to a minimum.
> Kathey

I think that Kathey's final goal pretty much sums up the concern which
Suresh raised. Thanks to everyone's patience, it appears we have our
consensus: this is a serious problem and we need a solution which
satisfies these goals. So far there's one solution on the table: Olav's
original proposal to relocate engine booting.

View raw message