db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Driver autoloading and engine booting
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:04:17 GMT
Rick Hillegas  and Kathey Marsden wrote:
[lots of stuff about implementation details that probably should wait a bit]

I think Dan's summary and focus on goals was good:
Dan said ...

>I think the goal should be to support auto-loading and to ensure
>applications that perform some setup and then explicitly load the Derby
>embedded driver continue to work.

Another goal would be to minimize the resources used and permissions demanded by Derby when
it is auto-loaded but never used.  For example with auto-loading, we would want to make sure
that there were no read/write permissions required and memory usage was kept to a minimum.

Kathey