db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Optimizer issue, was: interested in working on DERBY-713
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:54:43 GMT
Hi Mike,

Right.Your proposal is what I had in mind when I was talking about
nextKey. Like you, I would imagine beefing up the existing node that
scans indexes. This solution does give rise to a smaller tree that's
easier to understand. I think it's a little more complicated than the
tinker-toy solution:

o it involves work in the cost model
o it involves code generation changes to support nextKey
o it involves query execution changes to support nextKey

Possibly, it's more efficient at run-time too, though for small IN lists
that might be hard to measure. I do like this solution.

Regards,
-Rick