db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Driver autoloading and engine booting
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:06:35 GMT
Olav Sandstaa wrote:

> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> 3) If derby booted at the first connection or the first instantiation
>> of the driver (whichever came first) , would  that solve the
>> derby.drda.startNetworkServer problem.
> This depends on what you mean by "the first instantiation of the
> driver". With autoloading this could be considered done as part of the
> autoloading of the driver (i.e. too early to boot the engine). It also
> depends on whether we would be able in the driver code to know that
> this was done as part of the autoloading of the driver or explicitly
> by the application code. E.g., would both of these calls:
>   Class.forName(...EmbeddedDriver)
>   Class.forName(...EmbeddedDriver).netInstance()
> result in Derby code being run? And would we be able to differentiate
> this from when the autoloading code loaded the driver? I do not know.
Generally it would be great if
1) Autoloading  (getting a connection a connection on another product)
just registers the driver.
2)  Derby would boot on any of the following events.
    - Get a Derby connection.
    - Class.forName(...EmbeddedDriver)
     - Class.forName(...EmbeddedDriver).newInstance()

Is that possible?

That way DerbyNetAutostart would still be AOK (I think)  as it:
1. Load the client driver: TestUtil.loadDriver()

2. set derby.drda.startNetworkServer=true

3. Load the embedded driver: Class.forName("...EmbeddeDriver).newInstance()

View raw message