db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: interested in working on DERBY-713
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:12:20 GMT
Brent Verner wrote:
> A _little_ pointer would be helpful: maybe a brief overview of how
> a query plan is determined [...]  I'd rather have to bang my head
> against this wall a bit, to get a better understanding of things, instead
> of being pointed immediately to the solution.

If it's a "litle" pointer you're looking for, you might find it useful to read
the _v5.html document attached to DERBY-805.  That's a rather long document
detailing the specifics of some optimizer changes that were recently made to
Derby, and it is admittedly slanted toward predicate pushdown since that's the
focus of that particular issue.  However, if it's just "little pointers" you're
looking for, section III could provide you with some background info on how a
query plan is determined...

At the very least, it should give you a nice big wall against to bang your head
for a while... :)

Army