db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Driver autoloading and engine booting
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:38:20 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> This topic was raised in an earlier email thread
> (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.devel/20899) but
> it does not appear that we agreed on a solution. I would like to re-open
> this topic and hopefully we can converge on how we want to handle this
> issue.
>
> Olav has analyzed a problematic interaction between
> JDBC4-driver-autoloading and Derby-embedded-engine-booting. In addition
> to the above email thread, the problem is also discussed in DERBY-1399.
> Here's a brief sketch of the issue:

> 1) Remove the JDBC4-driver-autoloading. This removes a useful
> ease-of-development feature and makes us fail to be JDBC4-compliant.
>
> 2) Don't boot the engine when registering the embedded driver. Instead,
> boot the engine the first time that someone requests an embedded
> Connection. This approach involves a lot of testing.

Thanks for explaing the problem clearly Rick. I believe it is not
uncommon for the application to have a code that connects to different
database from different vendors and only make connection to one of
them at a time as needed in different parts of their code at runtime.

I think booting derby (Actually it is just the monitor service modules
that gets booted not underlying storage ..etc.)  when user is using
a different vendor database does not sound right. In my openion, this
problem should be fixed if possible.

Thanks
-suresh