db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: interested in working on DERBY-713
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:30:08 GMT
Hi Brent,

Sounds like you're off to a good start. From the initial bug report, it
looks like there's a good idea about which heuristic is being
mis-applied here. Once you've studied the optimizer papers, I recommend
that you post some high-level candidate solutions. Try to avoid
optimizer jargon and concentrate on simple descriptions:

o What query plan would you rather see?
o What heuristic would the optimizer apply that would lead it to your
preferred plan?
o How would the optimizer decide to apply the new heuristic rather than
the old one?

I think you'll get some good feedback if your post contains the phrase
"Attention, optimizer experts." I think that the optimizer enthusiasts
on the list will give you good feedback:

o Maybe they can think of a better query plan or heuristic.
o Maybe they can see some awkward corner cases in your  heuristic.
o They can advise you on whether your heuristic will short-circuit other
optimizer choices.
o They can advise you on whether your heuristic will cause an explosion
in the time that the optimizer takes.

Thanks for wanting to scratch this itch!

Regards,
-Rick