db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Driver autoloading and engine booting
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:01:42 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> - Log a bug
>
> - Work on fixing it by booting on first connection rather than when
> the driver is loaded.

It would be good to get input from the user community as well.  One
possible approach would be to log the bug, mark it  as a regression,
existing application impact, and release note needed.  and  have  a
formal release note.  Then send a note to derby-user with a pointer to
the bug and Ricks summary to see if any users feel there will be
impact.  Unfortunately, my gut instinct is that  this is the kind of
issue that lays dormant and then hits someone hard on upgrade or when
integrated with another product.    It might  broadside users unaware,
like   it did the nist tests and DerbyNetAutostart  tests.  It will be
really helpful to have the bug and the  release note to present to users
to help them understand impact.
Then we can close DERBY-930 back  up too until it is decided whether
this "Heisenbug" is a  show stopper or not.

> -1 on removing the autoloading feature, unless people have evidence
> that this is going to cause real problems for our users.

I'll analyze some usage scenarios that I am aware of and see what the
impact might be.  The most important thing is that this be a deliberate
choice and that we not rush  new functionality and introduce  a
regression where there is a  reasonable technical alternative, where we
can have autoloading and avoid the regression.

I also have a couple of questions:
1) How much work is it and what are the risks to moving the boot to the
first connection ?
2) What are the implications to derby.drdra.startNetworkServer with the
DERBY-930 change. Olav mentioned that even if the boot was moved,
DerbyNetAutostart would still need to be changed.
3) If derby booted at the first connection or the first instantiation of
the driver (whichever came first) , would  that solve the
derby.drda.startNetworkServer problem.

If we could get DerbyNetAutoStart running without changes and nist put
back the way it was, I think we would be ok.
The fact that these tests require changes after DERBY-930 is a good
indicator that users will be impacted.

Kathey

Kathey