db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Copyrights redux
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:21:14 GMT
Hi, Rick

I'd like to redo your list in terms of (1) internal for source code vs.
(2) externally viewable because the new changes just affect the first.

1) Internal for source code : due date 8/1/06 for releases

This is a new policy that takes effect for releases starting Aug 1. It
doesn't affect 10.1.3. It affects any release after Aug 1, such as 10.2.
Incidently, the best example is the httpd project.

At the risk of oversimplifying the objective, my take is there are two
primary goals, which helps understand why this change is occurring:

 - Moving the ASF copyright out of source files and into the NOTICE file
clarifies that the ASF copyright is for the collective work.
 - Anybody who accesses any single source file will know that it may be
used.

Derby source files affected:

 - code (needs to be updated)
 - DITA docs (needs to be updated)
 - web site -- I haven't paid attention to this, so need to update most
files. I'll add a subtask to DERBY-1377, will assign myself to it, and
will look at what the Forrest project did because they recently did it.
 - generated html source for the docs produced by the DITA doc builds.
The DITA doc build process needs to be modified to do the right thing.

2) Externally viewable : no changes planned (yet)

So at the bottom of http://db.apache.org/derby/ you'll see this line:
"Copyright © 2004-2006 Apache Software Foundation"

Anyone accessing the web site sees it, which is what I mean by
"externally viewable". It doesn't require looking at source to see it.

That copyright line is good for now, is the application of
http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new .
It might get changed at some point, perhaps to be a link to a terms and
conditions page, but that hasn't been decided yet.

Same for the copyright page in each doc.

Andrew updated the copyright pages in the 10.1 doc branch yesterday (svn
revision 414499 [1]), but I'm not spotting the updates yet in the docs
at http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/ .

 -jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-commits/200606.mbox/%3c20060615073921.815451A983A@eris.apache.org%3e