db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [Enhancement] Name the ' db.lck' file within a booted db to be '.db.lck'
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:58:08 GMT
Note that this change is not as easy as it seems.  I believe there
are all sorts of upgrade issues.  I don't think it is possible to
change the name in 10.1 as 2 different versions of CS running in
different jvms won't agree on the object they are locking.

I guess for a hard upgrade one could lock both files, and for
db's booted that have already been upgraded to 10.2 one should
be able to lock the new name.

Does anyone know if java guarantees that files starting with "." is
a valid filename on all the platforms.  We have in the past tried
to be very safe in our filename choices - mostly trying for 8.3
standard.