db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [PRE-VOTE DISCUSSION] Compatibility rules and interface table
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:16:38 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForwardCompatibility

[snip - stuff about 2 votes that sounds fine to me]

> I'd also like to make sure there aren't any lingering issues with the
> Wiki page as it stands, before I go through the process of running a
> vote.

First of all, sorry for the huge delay in reviewing this. I would like
to make the following edits to the page before vote.  If I don't hear by
end of day today I will go ahead and make them.  Nothing controversial I
hope.

*Goal*
- Remove the alternate goal
   I think the goal as stated and the stated "Exceptions" section are
clear as is.

*Exceptions*
Add that the Jira "Existing application Impact"  and "Release Note
Needed"  checkbox  should be  be  used to indicate such changes have
been made and the standard ReleaseNoteFormat should be used to describe
possible impact.

Note that intentional changes that might affect existing applicaitons
should be deferred to minor release boundaries if at all possible.
Critical bugs such as corruption and wrong results may require change in
a maintenance release.

I think the Vote that client should match embedded behaviour in the
"Other Notes" section  should be moved up here.

*Changes to Database Tables*

Changes to system tables cannot occur for soft upgrade. Associated
upgrade code and tests will be added for compatible changes.

*Incompatible Changes for Data File Formats*
I won't change this but seems like it should be filled in.  In general
it seems to me not the data file import but its impact on soft/hard
upgrade is key here.

*Changes to Network Protocol*

add
Compatiblie Change
Add  unimplemented DRDA support to client or server with appropriate
logic to trigger it only for Derby versions that support it.

Incompatible Change:
Add unimplemented DRDA Support to client or server that  might impact
earlier releases of client or server.

*Other Notes*

I would like to rename "Other Notes" to
"JVM  Support and  Version Interoperability"*
*

*Questions:
*Under eprecated it says:
 Incompatible change allowed in minor rlease(x,Y) but then says it must
continue to be supported until the next major release.
The text that what happens at minor release boundaries is that it is
deprecated. But could we clarify this?