db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Should the Copyright year be updated for the 10.1.3 documentation?
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:06:49 GMT
Staale Deraas - Sun Norway wrote:
> I was just browsing the documentation of the 10.1.3 RC. The copyright
> page states:
>
> "Second Edition (July 2005)
>
> Copyright 1997, 2005 The Apache Software......."

There's a thread with the same topic starting here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200606.mbox/%3c448DAA9D.5030104@sun.com%3e

And -- oops! -- this thread was on derby-user; I didn't spot that before.

> The first part might be OK, but the last part may need an update?
>
> Since 10.1.3 will be final before August 1, I guess there is no need to
> consider the full  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1377

After re-reading the legal-discuss thread [1] again, it's clear that the
required updates are just to the underlying source file headers [2].
Some motivation is to make the license clear for anyone who wants to
copy a given file; see [3]. Formal issues addressed, including an
unofficial copy of the ASF Board resolution, is in [4].

The source file header policy does not apply to the web site (at least
not yet) [5], and I don't believe it applies to the copyright notice
page in our docs. I believe we can go ahead and update those per the
instructions in [6]. Does anyone disagree?

 - jean-the-archeologist

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200606.mbox/%3c1551070F-EDE7-40DC-9C97-79BF24E9FD59@apache.org%3e
[2]