db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Please drop derby-commits from replies (was Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "MysqlDerbyMigration/RequirementDocument" by RaminMoazeni)
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:23:55 GMT
derby-commits@db.apache.org is just for commit notifications from svn
and the wiki, so please drop it from replies.

derby-dev@db.apache.org is the right place to discuss any issues
surrounding commit notifications.

thanks,

 -jean

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of
"MysqlDerbyMigration/RequirementDocument" by RaminMoazeni
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:13:55 -0700
From: Ramin Moazeni <rmoazeni@gmail.com>
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org, David.Vancouvering@sun.com
CC: derby-commits@db.apache.org

Hi David,

Once the migration tool is started, the user needs to select the
source DBMS (ie. Mysql, oracle, etc) as well as the source and target
DBMS configuration parameters such as hostname, port number, username
and password. At this point, the user is displayed a list of databases
that are available to migrate. The user then, selects the databases
and the object (tables, views, stored procedures, etc) to be migrated.
If there are any mapping errors, the user will then be displayed a
list of mapping errors, which may require manual editing of sql
statements. Then system will then proceed with migration of the
databases.

I summarized the above user interactions and task as following and
attached the use-case diagram with this email:
UC-1: Select Source DBMS
The user will select the source DBMS (i.e mysql, oracle, etc)

UC-2: Enter Source DBMS Connection Parameters
To enter information of the source Database Management System such as
database IP, Port information, username and password.

UC-3: Enter Target DBMS Connection Parameters
To enter information of the target Database Management System such as
database IP,  Port information, username and password.

UC-4: Select DB to be Migrated
The migration tool will capture the databases of the source DBMS. The
user can select the database that needs to be migrated.

UC-5: Choose DB Objects to be Migrated
The migration tool will capture the objects (tables, views, stored
procedures, etc) from the selected database. The user can then select
the objects that needs to be migrated.

UC-6: Edit mapping errors
Th user will be displayed a list of object mapping errors. The user
will get the option of manually editing the sql statements to resolve
the issue.

Several errors can happen during the migration process:
1)	Error in connecting to the source or target DBMS
2)	Error in connecting to the database account
3)	Mapping errors which includes, object mapping errors, lack of
support for specific object and datatype mapping errors.

 The system will have a graphical user interface (GUI).
Feedback is appreciated...

Thanks,
Ramin Moazeni

On 6/12/06, David Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@sun.com> wrote:
> A quick comment: I think this is great that we're gathering
> requirements, but before we delve down into specific functional
> requirements I'd like to see this described in terms of some use cases.
>  What are the tasks that the user needs to accomplish.  What will the
> user experience be like -- what specific steps and interactions will
> they have with the system?  Will the user interface be command-line or
> GUI?  What does the user need to specify prior to running the migration
> tool?  What kinds of errors can occur?
>
> For a user-based tool such as this these types of task-based,
> user-oriented descriptions I think are crucial for guiding the actual
> functional requirements.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David
>

> Apache Wiki wrote:
> > Dear Wiki user,
> >
> > You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Db-derby
Wiki" for change notification.

> > The following page has been changed by RaminMoazeni:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/MysqlDerbyMigration/RequirementDocument

> >   This section describes the capability (functional) requirements of
the proposed system. A capability requirement is a function that the
proposed system must (be designed and implemented to) perform. All
capability requirements are specified in a sufficiently concrete way
that they can be implemented and tested.

> >   Table 15: Source and Target Database Management System
> > + || Capability Requirement || '''PR-14: The conversion of data in
the system from one format to another shall be reliable and accurate. ''' ||
> > + || Priority || The data migration from source DBMS to the target
DBMS over network of machines or instances must not change the data and
not corrupt the format. Also, the transaction must be atomic and task of
the transfer of data from one end to the other must be achieved ||