db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject optimizer documentation
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:30:17 GMT
I'm puzzled by the following paragraph in Tuning Guide->DML statements
and performance->Performance and optimization->Joins and
performance->Join strategies:

"If memory use is not a problem for your environment, set this property
to a high number; allowing the optimizer the maximum flexibility in
considering a join strategy queries involving large queries leads to
better performance. It can also be set to smaller values for more
limited environments."

I can't find the name of this property on that page of the Tuning Guide.
I'm also confused about what we consider to be a "high number" versus
what we consider to be "smaller values". Would appreciate advice here.

Thanks,
-Rick