db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Question about WIKI anchors
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:13:02 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:

> I beginning a new section on the Wiki called HintsAndTips so am spinning
> up on the page layouts and markup format.  I am using the
> WorkingWithDerby page as a template for the contents / links page and
> have run across something I don't understand.  At the top of the page a
> number of anchors are defined.  What are these and is there any reason I
> should define these or others on the HintsAndTips list?

anchors result in user-friendly URLs you can post to the list or use in
another web page. For example, go to this Wiki page:

   http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySQLroutines

In the Table of Contents, click on the "Creating Procedures" section.
Here's the URL for that section:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySQLroutines#head-3cee8fce9dd8c68e187f5de78afe5b0519913487

If you wanted to post that URL or link to it from another page it's long
and clunky.

I just now added a new "CreatingProcedures" anchor below the "==
Creating Procedures ==" section heading in the source for that Wiki page:

   == Creating Procedures ==
   [[Anchor(CreatingProcedures)]]

The URL below works and is much nicer for posting to user lists or
linking from a web page:

   http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySQLroutines#CreatingProcedures

> The section, with comment  is:
> ## Please leave the anchors in place below -- pages on the Derby web
> site need to be updated to not reference them
>
> [[Anchor(Tutorials)]]
> [[Anchor(Courses)]]
> [[Anchor(Examples)]]
> [[Anchor(Demos)]]

A week or so ago I completely reorganized the WorkingWithDerby wiki
page. Previously it had 4 sections: Tutorials, Course, Examples, and
Demos, each with an anchor.

The Quick Start page at http://db.apache.org/derby/quick_start.html
references those anchors, hence the request to leave them in place until
I can get the derby web site updated.

-jean