db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sharing user code (Was Re: New updates to the Wiki - Should they be here? )
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:46:50 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> note: I'm dropping dmclean@stsci.edu from the cc because we're headed
> down a Derby project policy path.
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> <snipping>
>>>Seems like the Derby wiki may be ok for sharing sample code for Derby,
>>>but not the code for or developing a complete application. Lots of
>>>applications can use Derby, doesn't mena they need to be hosted on
>>>Derby's wiki.
>>I haven't found a precedent for sharing user application code at the
>>ASF, so it appears this is a first.

What about the Lucene sandbox?

>>The line between "sample" and "complete application" will be blurry.
>>Ideally, any sample should be able to be built and run. Then the
>>question becomes, how big is too big? And how does that decision get made?
> There is derby interest in sharing user code; see the thread starting at:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200603.mbox/%3c4411F9DD.5070500@gmail.com%3e

I think sharing code is good. I think using Derby resources
(wiki/mailing lists) to develop a project to be shared is not good.

People on the developer & user list are probably not interested in the
development discussion of, say, a personal information mangagment
system, though they might be interested in looking at the final result.

View raw message