db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Sharing user code (Was Re: New updates to the Wiki - Should they be here? )
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:25:00 GMT
note: I'm dropping dmclean@stsci.edu from the cc because we're headed
down a Derby project policy path.

Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>Seems like the Derby wiki may be ok for sharing sample code for Derby,
>>but not the code for or developing a complete application. Lots of
>>applications can use Derby, doesn't mena they need to be hosted on
>>Derby's wiki.
> I haven't found a precedent for sharing user application code at the
> ASF, so it appears this is a first.
> The line between "sample" and "complete application" will be blurry.
> Ideally, any sample should be able to be built and run. Then the
> question becomes, how big is too big? And how does that decision get made?

There is derby interest in sharing user code; see the thread starting at:

My only experience with sharing user code is the International Informix
Users Group ( http://www.iiug.org/ ), which I used to be active in many
years ago. That web site hosts many user contributions, great and small.

Does anyone know of/have experience with any open source projects that
manage user contributions?

View raw message