db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: New updates to the Wiki - Should they be here? (was Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "LifeCache" by DonaldMcLean)
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:00:15 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>
>>>The following page has been changed by DonaldMcLean:
>>>http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/LifeCache
>>>
>>I  wonder  if this content is really appropriate for the Derby Wiki.
>
> I don't believe it is. If this is a potential open-source project then a
> wiki is not the mechanism for community development. Something like
> sourceforge or Donald applying to the apache incubator is best.
>
> Seems like the Derby wiki may be ok for sharing sample code for Derby,
> but not the code for or developing a complete application. Lots of
> applications can use Derby, doesn't mena they need to be hosted on
> Derby's wiki.

I haven't found a precedent for sharing user application code at the
ASF, so it appears this is a first.

The line between "sample" and "complete application" will be blurry.
Ideally, any sample should be able to be built and run. Then the
question becomes, how big is too big? And how does that decision get made?

  -jean