db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: New updates to the Wiki - Should they be here? (was Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "LifeCache" by DonaldMcLean)
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 15:04:41 GMT
Donald McLean wrote:
> Actually, no. Since I'm not subscribed to that list, I would not have
> any way of knowing.

ok, you now know.  :-) Saving Wiki updates is good, means you won't lose
your work. It's also good to know that each save causes a notification
to be sent.

> However, I really have to question the wisdom of that policy. My
> understand is that a wiki should be a living, breathing space where
> people have no compunctions about making whatever changes and
> contributions they deem to be necessary or useful.

I don't know that it's so much "policy" as asf convention.

It makes project oversight easier, which is a good thing.  It was good
that Kathey paid attention to the commit notifications and it was
excellent that she questioned the updates. In your case, you had already
communicated with derby-user regarding your project and I could point
that out.

But take, for example, a hypothetical malicious case where somebody
overwrites the main derby wiki page with junk (this has happened at the
asf on another project). We would want to know about this asap, not the
next time one of us happened to go out to the Wiki. We also want to know
if anyone is uploading code to the Wiki that isn't available under an
ASL or ASL-compatible license. Wiki commit notifications keep us from
stumbling on surprises later.

I hope this helps explain the rationale.

regards,

 -jean