db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Discussions in and out of Jira (was Re: Feature list for adding JMX extensions to derby)
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:11:38 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> No, you understood me, and I see what you are saying too.  I guess it's
> a question of making it easy to find out what's going on around a
> particular feature.  I guess you x-ref to a mail thread?
>
> I guess I don't have a *strong* preference, I just thought this kind of
> thing is easier to track if it's in the JIRA database.  Since JIRA
> entries get copied to the dev list I didn't see how it made much
> difference in terms of it being available for all to see.  Or is that
> not true?

A lot of people don't look at the Jira activity because it's so high.
Another problem with the whole discussion being in Jira is there's no
way to remove incorrect information, which is inconvenient because it's
something of an audit repo for the issue.

Actually, I really like what I've seen Mamta and Halley do lately. I've
noticed they have both been posting a subject that references the Jira
issue, but keeps the actual discussion on the development list.

Here are examples:

Subject = "[Derby-655] : getImportedKeys returns duplicate rows in some
cases"
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200605.mbox/%3cd9619e4a0605232247r920e307pab9d6f39a35d6a2f@mail.gmail.com%3e

Subject = "DERBY-1376 - Text for exceptions - File
java/engine/org/apache/derby/loc/messages_en.properties"
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200606.mbox/%3c20060606123958.12726.qmail@web51813.mail.yahoo.com%3e

regards,

-jean