db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Merging 1072 patch in 10.1 branch
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:49:57 GMT
Mayuresh Nirhali wrote:

> Hello,
>

> The command, svn merge -r 409577:409578
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk, brought up some
> conflicts in some files. I have attached the output of above command.
>
> The problem here is that my changes are on top of some more changes
> which are not in 10.1 branch as yet. So, I think it will be ideal to
> have those changes committed first and then this patch can be tested
> and committed.
>
> In this scenario, how can I test my patch in the 10.1 branch locally ??

Typically, you have two options here:
1) Resolve the conflicts you encountered in the merge manually, test,
and submit a new patch for 10.1
2)  Merge and test the other  fix that  you would like to see committed
first.
(Note: there is no need for the original fixer to be the one to merge a
fix.  The code belongs to the community and anyone who wants to see  a
fix in 10.1 can  port it.  Typically when doing this I assign myself
while doing the port and then assign back to the original fixer once
fixed, but maybe a subtask  for the port would be clearer)

In the DERBY-1072  case there looks like there is some grant revoke
stuff mixed in there which is not appropriate for  10.1, so it looks
like option 1 is probably the way to go.

Kathey