db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Manjula G Kutty <manjula.ku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10.2 Snap shot problem
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:57:01 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>I just tried it on a Windows machine and ....
>
> - Internet Explorer renamed the file
>db-derby-snapshot-10.2.0.2-410284.tar.tar
> - Firefox renamed it db-derby-snapshot-10.2.0.2-410284.tar.gz.tar
> - Mozilla didn't change the filename.
>
>So, I guess the best advice is to be aware that the browser may change
>the filename. IE and Mozilla both gave me an option on download to
>change the name, but Firefox didn't.
>
>-jean
>

>Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>>Hi Manjula,
>>
>>I'm afraid I cannot reproduce the problem you're seeing. On my XP box I
>>have successfully downloaded all of the 10.2.0.2 distributions from the
>>Derby download page. The files called "zip" come down with the extension
>>"zip" and the files called "tar.gz" come down with the extension
>>"tar.gz". I can then successfully gunzip the tar.gz files. This is true
>>for the debug and non-debug distributions. When I look at my copy of the
>>Forrest site, the files have the correct extensions. Also, the hrefs on
>>the derby_download.xml page point to these files with the correct
>>extensions.
>>
>>Does anyone have a theory about why this does not work for Manjula?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>-Rick
>>
>>Manjula G Kutty wrote:
>>

>>>I trird to download the 10.2 snap shot from
>>>http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html#Snapshot+Jars. I tried
>>>downloading the  tar.gz file and it is downloading
>>>db-derby-snapshot-10.2.0.2-410284.tar.tar instead of
>>>db-derby-snapshot-10.2.0.2-410284.tar.gz. I copied the
>>>db-derby-snapshot-10.2.0.2-410284.tar.tar  as
>>>db-derby-snapshot-10.2.0.2-410284.tar.gz and then did gunzip, and
>>>everything works fine.
>>>
>>>Can anybody correct the link for tar.gz to be
>>>db-derby-snapshot-10.2.0.2-410284.tar.gz?
>>>
>>>note : I found this problem while I was trying to download the files
>>>on an AIX machine.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Manjula

Hi Jean,

I used IE to download the file to my windows machine and then copy to
the AIX machine.  Yes the IE has the option of  changing the filename,
but I think nobody ( in general) will make an attempt to change the file
name when you are downloading a s/w like derby. Do we have any other
workaround for this issue?

Thanks
Manjula