db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: derbyTesting.jar in our releases?
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:44:42 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> I'm sure there's a good reason, but why are we shipping derbyTesting.jar
> in our releases?

I think there are good reasons, the tests are part of the derby project
and it allows people with the download to run the tests in their own
environment.

I do think the layout is wrong. Currently for the tests we have (from
the top level):

lib/derbyTesting.jar

I think that the testing jars should be separated from the functionality
jars, something like:

testing/README.html // Simplified instructions on how to run the tests
testing/derbyTesting.jar
testing/jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar

This would then allow us to ship additional jars (licence permitting) to
ease the ability to run tests from a distribution. The split also makes
it obvious which are the test jars and which are the real jars.

Dan.