db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DERBY-528
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:30:39 GMT
Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:

>I understand there has been a backchannel discussion on DERBY-528 (IRC).
>It would be nice if some of those involved posted a log here.

I  am sorry Bernt I do not have the log.   The summary of the discussion
was not technical and went something like this from what I remember.

- Francois joined #derby  IRC and generally everyone was happy to see
him there and back active in the community.
- I asked him if DERBY-528 was still planned for 10.2 as marked in
Jira.  He said yes, he was back working on it  and  it was still planned
for 10.2.
- He mentioned briefly that he had hit some technical issues with
DERBY-528 that he had resolved .  I didn't understand what they were
from the bit he wrote, but did not pursue in detail as that is better
for the list than IRC and  I assume he will mention these with his patch.
- Francois pinged me off line (not sure why) and we talked in general
about how good it was to dust of the network server security discussion
and revive the dream of  Network Server starting secure and remotely
accessible by default (as  mentioned before in threads like:
http://www.nabble.com/Network+Server+and+client+concerns-p3013962.html
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A+DRDA+Password+Encryption+%28SECMEC_EUSRIDPWD+and+SECMEC_USRENCPWD%29-p231847.html
)

I reiterated my concern that setting up user authentication and running
with security manager  is cumbersome and not generally done and that a
lot of users might be exposing themselves to risk.  I did not mention it
there but wonder if  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1056
would be a good addition to 10.2.

Kathey